View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Well, it's been about a year since my last update, so this will be a long one.
I was planning on having the new setup ready for MOTD this year but couldn't get done in time. So with that over and finally setting up a new photo sharing account, I figured it's time to do an update.

First some back story as to what and why:
So I had the car at MOTD last year and it was running pretty well considering it was right after the Cam change and we were just starting the tuning (unfortunately the weather was horrible and only a few people got to ride in it). The only real problem was an idle issue that had popped up, it was acting like a boost/vacuum leak, but I couldn't find anything wrong. And then a week later I also developed a bearing squeal and drop in boost. After a couple of weeks of trouble shooting ends up that all of the problems were internal with the Sprintex. After speaking with them I found out that this unit was one of the last original 1st gen units that was given to me free as a favor from the rep at that time, knowing that my original unit while leaking internally at the oil seal, was well out of warranty for millage and modifications.
So between that and the fact that the unit sat on a shelf in my basement for three years while I went through my motor rebuild, they were understandably reluctant to just "give" me a replacement gen II kit. (I was offered a discount though)
So I was left with 2 choices, spend X$ on the gen II replacement kit or (2x)X$ on a turbo conversion, which if anyone remembers, was the overall plan for the car anyway.
The Sprintex only ever was to be an interim, all be it upgrade, for my failed M45, until I was ready for the motor rebuild with the proper parts for a turbo conversion.
Well, then I find out that Chase is selling some of his parts from Buddy, to go with a more track orientated build, which changed my cost from (2x)X$ to (1.5x)X$ so no brainer, turbo it is.

So last Oct I picked up these parts from Chase:

Click the image to open in full size.

And Feb got this:

Garret GTX2867r gen II.

And then the real fun began, many 35-45 weekends on the carport assembling and fabricating parts. (No laughing and be kind, all I have is a bench top band saw, drill press and grinder, along with the bottom dollar harbor freight flux core welder)

While I was waiting on the turbo I was able to start on the downpipe and T/B adaptor:

Here's the downpipe and hot side of the turbo after ceramic coating:

I'll be the first to tell you the welds on the downpipe are dreadful and I'll be lucky if they last 2 months, but... I've picked up 2 new welders (a mig and AC/DC tig) and that will give me two months to practice on my welding with my scrap stainless steel pipe.
I was going to just mock it up and send it off, but I actually enjoyed doing it and decided to give it a shot, first time welding or not.

Next I removed all the plastic cowling/firewall, sold my JCW CAI and cut the ECU portion from a regular CAI. Then worked up new heat shielding (DEI form-a-shield) for the firewall, brake lines and module.

Moved the MAP sensor, replaced the hard plastic brake booster line and installed a vacuum manifold to take the place of the factory intake tube. (Yes I went overboard on the vacuum lines, but I wanted something that would clamp seal and also match the theme of the other lines I'm adding to for the turbo)

Cooper alternator and new dipstick tab mount:

Fabbed new W/P mount to be able to use the electric W/P from the old Sprintex kit:

Mocked up, then made a mount to relocate the P/S and Coolant reservoir. Plumbed and installed them along with the coolant and oil lines for the turbo:

Made a mount for the Nitrous and Fuel Pressure solenoid:

Fabbed up a new coil mount to relocate it for the wastegate actuator.

Installed the radiator and I/C, and finished the piping and hoses:

But... I screwed up, when I mocked up the radiator to have the necks welded on, I did it without the upper support bar in place, and now the top neck hits the W/P housing along with the fan touching the dipstick tube, when I tried to install the upper mount bar.
Found this out Tues before leaving for the Dragon, so that's where I am now.
I did however start the car, it fired up immediately and idled much better, with codes of course, but that's too be expected without any tuning changes at all.

So that's where I'm at, radiator is coming back out, neck will be cut off and mocked up properly and dipstick tube will be modified, so it'll just be a matter of waiting on my fab guy to weld on the new neck before I can get it reinstalled and finally done for first round of tuning.

Oh, and yes, I still plan on using the Nitrous, along with the new HFS-3 Aquamist system that I have sitting on a shelf right now. I'll go through all that as it progresses.

Sorry for the super long all-in-one post and thanks for reading.

Just hope the old one dies a fiery death.
But I'm not bitter....

Last edited by BlwnAway; 05-28-2018 at 05:29 AM..