motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

The Parts Bin Post your For Sale and Wanted information here. No vendors, please!

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > The Parts Bin

Old 11-27-2007, 05:36 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Default FS: Stainless Steel Supercharger Grilles

Click the image to open in full size.

Fits 2002-2006 MINI Cooper S coupe and 2005-2007 cabrio.

I did this initially for me - I've been searching high and low for a cost-effective, good looking, yet strong supercharger scoop grille for months and months. Ran across some Stainless Steel shelving in a perforated circle pattern at a department store closing, and ground out an insert based on a "Gutter Guard Special" as a template.

As you can see, the material is extremely strong (1/8' thick steel) and sexy-looking, in polished silver - picks up the chrome headlight rings and badging really, really well. Airflow is only minimally restricted - I would not use this insert while Auto-Crossing or on track days, but it should be fine for everyday use, and will protect the intercooler radiator from rocks, bugs, leaves, cigarette butts and other random road debris.

Installation is dead-simple: just remove the 2 nuts and 2 Phillips screws securing the stock scoop liner and drop the insert in. The MINI engineers almost seemed to have something just like this in mind, because no additional fasteners are required. The insert will not come out as a result of even spirited driving, guaranteed - I recently had my MINI roll on the Dragon, and the grille insert was still firmly in place, even though the bonnet was badly crumpled. I'll send along instructions just in case, but seriously, a child could install this.

I'm working on patterns for the aftermarket scoops (PU, M7) as well as an insert for the turbocharged 2007 coupe - I'll post details here if I'm successful. I'll save aside some material for "special projects" like that, but once the stainless steel is gone - it's gone.

Cost is $40 - price includes USPS Priority shipping (I hate people that post stuff like this for less then add an extra 30% in shipping and handling). PM me for availability and for my Paypal address. I have six inserts cut out right this second and ready to ship out, with more on the way but, again, when the material is all gone, I doubt I'll be able to get any more, so if you think you want one, order sooner rather than later.

Thanks for looking!

What's new with Matt? Read more at: http://bloodmagicbooks.blogspot.com

Last edited by ImagoX; 11-27-2007 at 06:32 PM..
Old 11-27-2007, 06:12 PM
μ

I do like the way those turned out. Great job man! I like the new pics.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:27 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to RFIbanez

They do look good!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Thanks... persistance pays off, I guess. Only took 18 months to find material I could afford.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

UPDATE:

People have been asking me if these can be painted. Good news: if I have sufficient interest, I can do these in powder coat black (satin or gloss) for an additional $6. If you want this, PM me and let me know. I'll have to send them out for coating, so it will add about a week to the turn-around time.

Grills as-is are in satin-finish silver (stainless steel).

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2007, 05:14 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

UPDATE ON POWDER COAT BLACK:

UPDATE: I currently have 6 people over on NAM that are a definite "Yes" for powder coat black, with another 2 as "maybes". At this rate, I'll be ready to put in my order by the end of the week. If you want a black grille, please PM me and let me know, so I make enough. I'll likely make 3 or 4 extra ones, just to be sure, but I only have so much material left over.

Once I'm ready, I'll PM people with my Paypal address and then get the order sent to the 'coaters.

Thanks all!!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:57 PM
H Rated - 130 mph

Grilles are off to the powder coater's for a coat of Satin Black... Should be back in a week or so. I made 4 or 5 extra, just in case. Will post pics when I get them back and mine installed. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2015, 08:36 AM
N Rated - 87 mph

Just wondering. do you still have a black one available?