motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Cornering Optimizing your suspension system.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Cornering

Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

maybe more of a pain because installing rear sway bar at same time? i know that's not fun unless you have a lift.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

So I posted in this thread a long time ago, now that I can afford to do something I'm still undecided.
current setup is sport suspension + IE fixed+ H-sport rear arms

My plan for a long time has been get some yellows and swifts but I just saw that i missed the sale on the Konis, now coils may be a cheaper option.....
Koni yellows= 700
swifts = 300
camber plates= Needed with this set up? front camber now is -2 with the fixed plates, and i dont want more than that. So with swifts that only lower .5"ish up front, maybe switching back to stock mounts will keep me at -2.

I do not want to go crazy low, just level it out and drop maybe a inch to get rid of some wheel gap. I know that lowering with out proper compensation is detrimental to handling( and I dont want to deal with that).
SO how low can one go on coils while maintaining proper alignment Via camber plates and rear arms, before it adversely affects handling?

I drive pretty aggressively all the time, but have not tracked before, though i really want to start autoxing with the local Houston BMWCCA(I think thats what they call it).

so my absolute priority is handling followed by cost, i want to budget right around 1000. also I think I'd like to have adjustable dampners, I think i would be the type to change it all the time...

what do you think is better for me, Swifts and Yellows, or Coils and if so what coils?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

megans sound good. need to re read that recent thread about them.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:10 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole9953 View Post
camber plates= Needed with this set up? front camber now is -2 with the fixed plates, and i dont want more than that. So with swifts that only lower .5"ish up front, maybe switching back to stock mounts will keep me at -2.
Camber does not change up front when lowered. If you keep the fixed plates installed you will still have -2 when lowered. If you remove them and lower the car .5" you will have stock camber like you did before the plates.

Quote:

SO how low can one go on coils while maintaining proper alignment Via camber plates and rear arms, before it adversely affects handling?
I'm confused. If you're correcting the alignment then you won't notice the adverse effects of lowering because you're already correcting them. The only other change your car's geometry will notice from extreme lowering would be roll center, but I'd put money on you not even noticing a change in your roll center until you get to the "super slammed" ride height range.

So with that said, if you're correcting the geometry and correctly choosing a strut setup, your car can handle well at any reasonable drop that you choose. If you correct the alignment and geometry, a car can handle far better than stock with a 3" drop.....it's just a matter of correcting the geometry.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

so if i got coils + low and mounted them up with the fixed plates i would still be at -2. good to know.

I was thinking of Roll center and i thought there was something else that changed.

so to get low on coils (not slammed) and maintain proper alignment, all that is needed is rear lower control arms?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:39 PM
μ

Quote:

so to get low on coils (not slammed) and maintain proper alignment, all that is needed is rear lower control arms?
Yes, the rear is where the MINI sees drastic alignment changes due to lowering since it's a multi-link. Rear control arms allow you to correct these. Adjust your rear toe at the trailing arm mount though....not the upper control arm.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

my only concern now is this
Click the image to open in full size.

is cutting the only way to allow access to the adjustment?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 PM
μ

No. You can move those bolts into alternate holes and adjust them. Then use a ball end allen and you can adjust them with a little patience and no cutting.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

what rally said. and to add to all this, don't forget to get an alignment. setting your plates to the "zero" setting does NOT make your camber 0
Old 06-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

if no one has anything bad to say about the megans or thinks another coilover is better for around the same price, i think i might be pulling the trigger in the next few days.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:39 PM
μ

I would not buy megans if you are planning on autocrossing or having a performance oriented car.

They're fine for cruising around on a daily, but you could do much better if autocross/performance is your direction.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

BAHH. performance is the goal, not lows. thats why my first choice was swifts and yellows.

from what i have heard performance of a yellows and swifts combo is tits, do any coils perform as well or better, at near the same price point as 1000 bucks?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:05 PM
μ

Can I ask what is keeping you from buying the yellows and swifts if they're so good? Just so i can have a better idea of what you're looking for.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

is it not good? I have never been in a Mini running swifts or Konis, i personally do not know, thats why im here asking questions.

the only reason i have not purchased them already is because i would like to considers Coils as another option. if i can get the supposed great performance of the swifts and yellows, in a coil that offers more adjustments( ride height, and front camber plates), for the same price or close to, then a Coilover set up would be a much better deal.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM
μ

Quote:
is it not good? I have never been in a Mini running swifts or Konis, i personally do not know, thats why im here asking questions.

No, it's great from what I've read. That's why I'm asking. They seem like they're ideal for you unless you feel like they are lacking something that is important to you.

Back when I was an autocrosser I ran yellows and H&R's. The ride was stiff as hell but they handled the autocross course great. I imagine swifts and proper spring rates would be even better.

Quote:
the only reason i have not purchased them already is because i would like to considers Coils as another option. if i can get the supposed great performance of the swifts and yellows, in a coil that offers more adjustments( ride height, and front camber plates), for the same price or close to, then a Coilover set up would be a much better deal.
The problem is that cheaper coilover setups generally aren't performance setups.