motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 12-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Help me pick a new camera and tripod

Hey. Y'all know cameras right?

I need a Christmas present for the wife. With the baby on the way(find out boy or girl tomorrow!) she asked for a tripod for Christmas, she has a 4 or 5 year old Nikon d40, so I was thinking maybe new camera and a tripod.

Is there anything like that Fuji x100 out there but at a better price point? I know we will just be taking lots of baby pictures but the old school aesthetics, compactness, and ridiculously good image quality make it extremely appealing.

Also what's your favorite tripod?
Old 12-15-2014, 03:01 PM
μ

The Sony Alpha products have been given great reviews, and there are other Fuji mirrorless cameras that are at a lower price point than the X100 models. If you want a well rounded camera I would recommend one that either offers interchangeable lenses or has a good zoom lens. Check out www.bhphotovideo.com and look at the mirrorless options. They're a well known company with a good history, and you'll have a bunch of options in various price ranges. I'm working with a handed down tripod, so I'm not the best one to answer questions, but they'll have good info on that site for those as well.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

DPReview buying guides are a good place to start

If you want to stay Nikon, the D7100 got their pic for DSLR. Another thing to think about is, the best camera is the one you always have on you, so maybe a pocketable high end? The Sony RX100 III seems to be the one to beat there. Although if you do really like the X100S, it is on sale right now at BH Photo. If you were looking to go with a new system and wanted interchangeable lens, I will backup Drew and say I have also heard great things about Sony Alpha.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I have a D7000, which I got just as the D7100 was released and the D7000 came down a few hundred $.
The D7200 (or whatever they're going to call it) is probably coming out in the next few months, and the
D7100 is now down to about $900 for the body at BH (thanks to $300 instant savings), making it a very
good buy at this time.
My favourite tripod is my current Feisol CT-3441T. It's under 2.5#, folds to 19", carbon fiber, very sturdy
for its weight (but not really robust enough for heavy long lenses like a 300/2.8 or bigger/longer), fits into
an overhead size carry-on bag, and mates well with a Markin Q3T ballhead. It's not cheap, but it's
considerably less expensive than a similar Gitzo or RRS product, is very well built, and the size suits me
more than the current models by Gitzo or ReallyRightStuff.
If you're serious about photography, it's best to really think about what kind of tripod you want or need,
and invest in it. Otherwise, you'll get a series of less expensive ones that add up to more than you would
originally spend on the one that really does what you want it to.

Last edited by cristo; 12-15-2014 at 10:41 PM..