motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 PM
μ

Default Comic Geeks?

So anyone actively reading comic books? I've been a huge Batman fan since the 80's and have been reading a lot of DC's new 52 stuff. Anyone else?
-G
Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 PM
μ

Fables
The Walking Dead
Grimm Fairy Takes (but haven't started them yet.)
Transmetropolitan
Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 PM
μ

Word. Did you pick up the Fables spinoff Fairest? I'm waiting for the Walking Dead TV show to end before I pick them up. I don't want to co-mingle the 2 and I started with the show.
-G
Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I am also reading Walking Dead. Also for a time I was reading all of the Star Wars comics that Dark Horse was putting out.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I have pretty much all of Matt Howarth's stuff. Every issue of
Those Annoying Post Bros and Savage Henry,
plus a ton of his other pubs ... man that guy is prolific.

Anyone else here a fan of his work?

Also a bunch of older comix by others like Zap, FFFBros, Mr. Natural, Omaha,
and many others - too numerous to mention.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 PM
μ

I fucking love me some Fables. Jack of Fables was pretty good too as well as the Cinderella TPB and the Piper book.

I haven't read too much in teh past year but before I took a hiatus I was big into Batman stuff, Gotham City PD, The Goon, and all of the Green Lantern stuff after they brought back Hal Jordan.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:59 PM
μ

Send a message via MSN to ducks

Never really been into comics but recently started to read Sin City which I really like!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:43 AM
μ

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplygriff View Post
Word. Did you pick up the Fables spinoff Fairest? I'm waiting for the Walking Dead TV show to end before I pick them up. I don't want to co-mingle the 2 and I started with the show.
-G
I didn't know about it, I only just found Fables about 6 mos ago. I'm gunnah have to check that out now though.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:43 AM
μ

I think Fairest is only on issue 2 so you're not too far behind. I think the writer just quit +/got fired from DC though so not sure how that's gonna play out. He was the writer on one of my favorite books iZombie. Luckily I think he finished the writing duties there cause it ends in 4 issues.

Ducks, Sin City is good stuff. Frank Miller's a bit outspoken with his politics but the man knows how to tell a story.

Ash, I've been reading Justice League starting with the new 52. Is Green Lantern always kind of a cocky douche? Or is just that book?

Cristo, can't say I know of him but I'll look into it.

Personally I'm reading a ton lately. Batman, Batgirl, Batman & Robin, Batwoman, Catwoman, Justice League, All Star Western, iZombie, Avenging Spiderman, Avengers Assemble, Avengers Vs Xmen, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Superman, TMNT (which is excellent), Transformers, Saga, New Deadwardians, pretty sure there are a few more on the pull list but that's all I can remember right now.
-G
Old 04-25-2012, 03:16 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I love me some comics. I was mostly a marvel zombie (though I quit after they brought Cap back too soon), Spider-man is my favorite. I enjoy pretty much any comic except maybe superman haha (though all star superman was great).

Since I moved to phoenix I stopped getting paper issues and just went with www.comixology.com I also wait till the prices drop on issues when the one comes out

I just read Saga very interesting. Its fantasy/sci-fi

ps the comics look amazing on the ipad3

pps I love The Walking Dead comic.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 AM
μ

Quote:
I think Fairest is only on issue 2 so you're not too far behind. I think the writer just quit +/got fired from DC though so not sure how that's gonna play out. He was the writer on one of my favorite books iZombie. Luckily I think he finished the writing duties there cause it ends in 4 issues.

Personally I'm reading a ton lately. Batman, Batgirl, Batman & Robin, Batwoman, Catwoman, Justice League, All Star Western, iZombie, Avenging Spiderman, Avengers Assemble, Avengers Vs Xmen, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Superman, TMNT (which is excellent), Transformers, Saga, New Deadwardians, pretty sure there are a few more on the pull list but that's all I can remember right now.
-G
Sweet, I'm gunnah check that out. Holy crap man! That's intense. I am always torn to read too many at one time. Like I'm going to mix them up or something.

What's iZombie like? Also, TMNT, is that a new one or what?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 PM
μ

rlnewby, Yeah, the current Superman is kinda lame. I tried to drop it from my list but the guys at the shop told me I had to finish the first arc. Which I did and it got better but is lame again. I'm giving it 2 more issues then pulling it again. Action Comics on the other hand is badass. Grant Morrison's on that. They just finished that first arc so I'm looking forward to where it goes. Saga was a lot better than I expected. The guys at the shop basically had to give me #1 to get me to read it. They had a copy that had coffee spilled on it that they couldn't sell.

I dig the digital comics too. All my Marvel books have come with the digital copy. I dig that I'll be able to take a good set of books with me on vacation this summer. And yes on the iPad3, they do look amazing!

Chris, I do get confused. Honestly if the story's not that engaging I forget what happened til the next month. Not having cable TV makes it a bit easier. It's like watching multiple shows in a night. Though, Detective Comics is kinda like that for me right now. I just put the last issue away after reading a few days ago and looked at the cover thinking "I have no idea what happened in that... I think I've got a problem hahaha

iZombie is a story about a girl who's a zombie and has to eat a brain a month to not go all "GRR...mmmm.... brains" zombie. So she's a functioning person until the cravings come on. It's drawn by one of my favorite artists Mike Allred. He created Madman. Gonna run for 28 issues. They're on 24 right now. There's 3 trades out I think.
Link: http://www.comicvine.com/izombie/49-32937/

TMNT, is the new Ninja Turtles series co-written by Kevin Eastman. Takes it back to the roots of the franchise. If you're a turtle fan it's a definite read.
http://www.comicvine.com/teenage-mut...tles/49-42285/
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM
μ

Quote:
Ash, I've been reading Justice League starting with the new 52. Is Green Lantern always kind of a cocky douche? Or is just that book?

Depends on what iteration of GL it was, Guy Gardner was definitely a cocky redneck douche. Hal Jordan, cocky fighter pilot. I haven't read any of the stuff after the reboot, though I heard the Batman stuff was pretty good. I've got all the JL stuff from back when Grant Morrison did the reboot back in the day up til the 52 reboot. Good stuff.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM
μ

Gotcha. It's Hal Jordan. It's funny with JL being the only bit I've read of GL, I don't think I'd like him much. I do get a kick out of Batman putting him in his place though. I actually picked up the first 6 issues of Morrison's run on JL during a back issue sale. Haven't had a chance to start it up yet.
-G
Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 PM
μ

Some cool stuff by Mark Waid.

http://www.thrillbent.com/

-G