motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

OTLounge Anything and everything NOT having to do with cars... for better or for worse!

Go Back   motoring|underground > The Overlook > OTLounge

Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default 5th Annual MU 2013 Fantasy Football League

I realize it is early May and we still have 3 months before the NFL preseason games are even played, but I wanted to gauge the interest in doing another fantasy football league for Motoring Underground forum members.

For those that have never participated before, here is an outline on how our league is setup:

1) Fantasy football league is setup through Yahoo. You need a valid Yahoo account (e-mail), but it is free and easy to set one up if you don't already have one.

2) This is a head-to-head scoring league.

3) We have a live draft on Yahoo in late August. If you can't participate Yahoo will draft the best remaining players for you.

4) Our league has 10 teams total. 6 of those spots will be offered to the 6 people who have participated the past 5 years first. Any remaining spots will be open to any member with a minimum of 500 posts on MU.

5) There is a $5-$10 buy in to participate (exact amount to be determined). Winner of course gets 75% of the buy in $ with 2nd place and maybe even 3rd getting the remaining.

6) Our season starts on week 1 and ends after week 14 with the last 3 weeks (15-17) as the playoffs for the top 6 out of 10 teams.

7) Please do not sign up if your not going to keep up with your team.

**For the MU fantasy football veterans**

I would love to hear about any changes you would like to see in the setup of the league. In fact, I would like if every member replied with at least 1 item they would like to see changed in the league for this year...from the points scale to positions. For reference, here is how our league was set up last year (has barely changed since we started 5 years ago).

Live Draft Pick Time: 1 Minute, 30 Seconds
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
Start Scoring on: Week 1
Can't Cut List Provider: None
Max Acquisitions for Entire Season: No maximum
Max Acquisitions per Week: No maximum
Max Trades for Entire Season: No maximum
Trade Reject Time: 2 days
Trade End Date: November 16, 2012
Allow Draft Pick Trades: No
Trade Review: League Votes
Waiver Time: 1 day
Waiver Type: Continual rolling list
Weekly Waivers Sunday - Tuesday
Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
Playoffs: Week 15, 16 and 17 (6 teams) Note: Week 17 runs 6 days from Dec 25 to Dec 30
Playoff Reseeding: No
Divisions: No
Lock Eliminated Teams: No
League Pickem: Yes
Roster Positions: QB, QB, WR, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, K, DEF, DB, DB, DL, DL, LB, LB, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
Fractional Points: Yes
Negative Points: Yes

POINT SYSTEM

Offense

Passing Yards: 25 yards per point; 2 points at 300 yards; 3 points at 350 yards; 4 points at 400 yards
Passing Touchdowns: 4
Interceptions: -1
Rushing Yards: 10 yards per point; 2 points at 100 yards; 3 points at 150 yards; 4 points at 200 yards
Rushing Touchdowns: 6
Reception Yards: 10 yards per point; 2 points at 100 yards; 3 points at 150 yards; 4 points at 200 yards
Reception Touchdowns: 6
Return Yards: 10 yards per point; 2 points at 150 yards; 3 points at 200 yards; 4 points at 250 yards 0
Return Touchdowns: 8
2-Point Conversions: 2
Fumbles Lost: -2
Offensive Fumble Return TD: 6

Kickers

Field Goals 0-19 Yards: 3
Field Goals 20-29 Yards: 3
Field Goals 30-39 Yards: 4
Field Goals 40-49 Yards: 5
Field Goals 50+ Yards: 6
Point After Attempt Made: 1

Defense/Special Teams

Sack: 2
Interception: 3
Fumble Recovery: 2
Touchdown: 6
Safety: 2
Block Kick: 3
Return Yards: 25 yards per point
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns: 6
Points Allowed 0 points: 10
Points Allowed 1-6 points: 7
Points Allowed 7-13 points: 4
Points Allowed 14-20 points: 1
Points Allowed 21-27 points: 0
Points Allowed 28-34 points: -1
Points Allowed 35+ points: -4
Tackles for Loss: 1
Defensive Yards Allowed - Negative: 5
Defensive Yards Allowed 0-99: 3
Defensive Yards Allowed 100-199: 2
Defensive Yards Allowed 200-299: 1
Defensive Yards Allowed 300-399: -1
Defensive Yards Allowed 400-499: -2
Defensive Yards Allowed 500+: -3

Defensive Players

Tackle Solo: 1
Tackle Assist: 0.5
Sack: 2
Interception: 3
Fumble Force: 2
Fumble Recovery: 2
Defensive Touchdown: 6
Safety: 2
Pass Defended: 1
Block Kick: 3
Tackles for Loss: 1

Since this is also our 5th year, I would also like to discuss the possibility of making this a "keeper league". This would give returning managers the ability to keep a player or players from one season to the next. If there is interest in doing that then I think the option to trade draft picks (for the following season) for a player could also be allowed. Give me your thoughts on all this....good, bad, or indifferent!

Regular season starts: September 5th!

MU Fantasy Football Champions
2009 - simplygriff
2010 - TheWanderer
2011 - TheWanderer
2012 - thebubba
2013 - ?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM
μ

I'm in. Personally I can't think of anything to change. Our league is more fun than my other because of the scoring and the defensive players. In fact, I've got my other league working on implementing some of the things we do (Fractional points, return yardage points etc.) I am open to discussion of changes, I just don't have any to suggest.
-G
Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 PM
μ

I'm in.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 PM
μ

I almost won last time, so you know I am in :-)
Old 05-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Glad to have your 3 on board for yet another year

Makes me happy to see that so far there are no complaints with how I set the league up. I really am open to anything you guys would like to see changed.

Also if there is no objections, I would like to move forward to making it a keeper/dynasty league. Since there has been a solid core of 6 of us the past 4 years, I don't think this will be a problem. Even if we start off with only being able to keep 1-2 players for next season. If you guys rather keep it the way it is where we draft a fresh team each year, just let me know!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 PM
μ

I'm down for a keeper league. Not sure how that works exactly though. Do we just keep a select few players?
-G
Old 05-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplygriff View Post
I'm down for a keeper league. Not sure how that works exactly though. Do we just keep a select few players?
-G
Honestly Griff, I have never played in a keeper league. From my understanding they allow you to retain a certain amount of players for the next season. Some leagues allow a team to keep a player from each position or specified positions depending on how many players are allowed to be carried over to the next season. Obviously, the more players allowed to be kept will ultimately hurt the competitiveness in my opinion (a team(s) can become stacked with great players). So I would think 3 players being able to be kept is the most I would do.

There would be some other limitations that we would have to decide on such as:

1) Putting limitations on the years a player can be retained. For instance, if a team has the rights to Player A, that owner can only keep Player A for three seasons (or any number of years decided upon by our league).

2) Putting limitations on the number of keeper players retained per position.

3) Allowing that only players drafted after a certain round can be kept. This rewards the value picks you made in the later rounds of your draft. Draft placement can also be limited in the selection of your retained players. For example, if you carry over a third-round pick, you forfeit this year's third-round selection. Another variation of this rule is to give up early round selections for steals you made in later rounds of last season's draft. This means if you are keeping a player drafted in Round 10 last season, you must give up your fifth round selection this season.

When all of the teams in the league have selected their keepers the rosters are cleared and all of the remaining players are put back into the draft pool. Any player not kept is available in the league's draft.

ADVANTAGES
I see 2 BIG benefits to using a keeper league.

1) It keeps owners involved all season long. I think the $5 buy in we setup 2 seasons ago greatly helped the amount of owners that abandoned their losing team mid season. Last year, I believe everyone was actively participating all year, which is GREAT. Sadly, it is very rare. A keeper league allows even a team with no chance of making the playoffs to stay involved and build for the future

2) increased TRADES! It isn't just our league that lacks trading. I play in at least 1 other league besides this one every year for the past 7 years and trades aren't a common site. A keeper league would allow a team to trade a player(s) for draft picks the following season. Trades can also become more important in leagues with limitations on keeper players. One team may be loaded with more keeper potential players than they can actually retain while another team may not have enough worthwhile players to hold over. This can lead to stocked teams trading with lesser quality teams to better their squad while giving the lesser team a better selection of players to retain.

DISADVANTAGES

The biggest disadvantage I see is discouraging new team owners coming in. We are fortunate to have half our league owners come back for the past 5 seasons. That is a big reason why I am even considering doing this. A keeper league might turn away the 3-4 team owners we need to complete the league because they know that a certain amount of top players are already taken before they even sign up.

I wouldn't really say this is a disadvantage, but being able to draft fresh each season and having the opportunity to get ANY player on your team is great. That is why I think you make a keeper league for your well established, loyal league (like we are) and then do a regular non-keeper league each season as well. You have the best of both worlds

So give me ANY of your thoughts and opinions on this guys. Good or bad.

Last edited by 98LowRanger; 05-10-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Old 05-10-2013, 07:39 PM
μ

I vote no keeper, keep it fresh every year.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I wrote all that out for one reply
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 PM
μ

I didn't have time to read it all the day you posted it and forgot to come back hahaha

I say we do a keeper league with the ability to keep any 3 players. Draft the rest. That's just my gut thoughts though. I'd good with drafting totally from scratch too though. Whatever. I'm just ready for the season to start.
-G
Old 06-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Any interest in doing both? I always do at least 2 fantasy football leagues a year. We can make the regular, fresh draft each year league the money league and do the keeper league for fun?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:16 PM
μ

I'm only in for one. I'm going to have to pick between two others this year because I can't deal with three!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:05 PM
μ

Yeah, I've already got one though work too. I can only realistically handle 2.
-G
Old 06-13-2013, 01:08 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

ok, just the regular league it is.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 AM
μ

Send a message via AIM to TheWanderer

I'm in, of course. I must return to prominence after last year's showing.

I'd like to see return yardage points moved to maybe 20 yards per point. I always feel like having return yardage equal to regular rushing seems off. I like that it counts, though.