motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Accelerating From engines to gearboxes--tuning the parts that make your car go.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Accelerating

Old 10-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Default Thinking About a New Clutch

I posted this over on NAM, but I wanted to get the opinions of some people on this forum since I'm really starting to like this place more than NAM.

Spent the last few months doing engine work, and now I'm starting to think about how I'm going to get that power to the ground. I know there are a number of threads in the archives that deal with clutch reviews, but it seems like a few of them fall off after initial review and never come back to explain.

So far I've found that the clutch options are OS Giken, ClutchMaster, ACT, Valeo, or the OEM clutch. Here's what I've gathered so far...

OS Giken: Solid product, very expensive, tough for a daily driver
CM: Durability issues, longevity issues, seems to be 1 good comment for every bad one
ACT: Saw one or two good things, then saw a few bad
Valeo: Sounds like a nice setup, but not for power much above stock levels
OEM: Doesn't sound like it will handle large power jumps

Here's where I'm going to be with the motor at the end of this month, which is when I will start looking for a clutch. Thumper TPR-1 head, NS1 cam, Adjustable cam gear, ported/polished intake manifold, OBXr header and test pipe, Stratmosphere catback, Sprintex supercharger, Mynes FA-53 software. I'm not really sure what power numbers that setup will bring, so I don't want to throw any out there and look like an idiot, or have that become the focus of the thread.

Can anyone offer any opinions on a quality clutch setup for this sort of power level? I'm also looking into an LSD since I'll be in there already. Thinking about buying an OBX and replacing the gears inside with stronger ones. We'll see though.

I appreciate any help!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 PM
µ Leadership

Unless you put down over 240whp youll be fine with stock clutch. Most of the Sprintex guys only see about 240-250.

I have ran a Clutch Masters fx400 clutch and flywheel since 2008 and it has served me very well without any problems. Always hard driving, power level 243whp.

Competition Clutch also makes a great clutch setup that is affordable.

Quiaffe diff is awesome, but i have been running an OBX dif without issues since 2008 as well. I just checked everything over before installing. Cheap and so far awesome
Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Konstantinos

I've been asking around for the same thing for the last few months, and keep getting the same answers.

OEM is the best for stock and daily driver. Anything else is not as good, or is not DD friendly. I hear even the Valeo is not great, but that's the one I've been leaning towards. The facelift OEM clutch should be the best one.

I have my original clutch in there from 10 years ago, and it's horrible. Needs replacement ver soon. I don't think the clutch is actually slipping, but I have a million and one other issues with it. That's why I was told to get the facelift OEM clutch and flywheel, and all of those issues should go away.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:38 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos View Post
I've been asking around for the same thing for the last few months, and keep getting the same answers.

OEM is the best for stock and daily driver. Anything else is not as good, or is not DD friendly. I hear even the Valeo is not great, but that's the one I've been leaning towards. The facelift OEM clutch should be the best one.

I have my original clutch in there from 10 years ago, and it's horrible. Needs replacement ver soon. I don't think the clutch is actually slipping, but I have a million and one other issues with it. That's why I was told to get the facelift OEM clutch and flywheel, and all of those issues should go away.
I'm on the original clutch as well from the info I gained from the previous owner. I slipped once or twice trying to launch, and that was before the head work and the Sprintex. So I'm sort of guessing that the clutch I have now won't hold. I'm with you though, all the info seems to be the same. For every positive answer I get, I find one that's negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Unless you put down over 240whp youll be fine with stock clutch. Most of the Sprintex guys only see about 240-250.

I have ran a Clutch Masters fx400 clutch and flywheel since 2008 and it has served me very well without any problems. Always hard driving, power level 243whp.

Competition Clutch also makes a great clutch setup that is affordable.

Quiaffe diff is awesome, but i have been running an OBX dif without issues since 2008 as well. I just checked everything over before installing. Cheap and so far awesome
I want the Clutch Masters kit to be the way I go. The price is fair and before searching for Mini specific applications I felt like I had heard good things about their product. But I've second guessed myself after the recent horror stories of setups lasting for 3000 miles then crapping out. I'm glad to hear that its working out for you, especially with you being at the power level that is sounds like I should reach.

As for the OBX, its a lot more comforting to know that you've been running one for years without issue. Its always sketchy getting those parts off of eBay, but you're the second higher power/torque application I've heard about that has used the OBX, so it may just be a diamond in the rough.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:49 AM
μ

I have all the mods you posted and am running the Valeo singlemass with no slip. well im not running the sprintex.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
I have all the mods you posted and am running the Valeo singlemass with no slip. well im not running the sprintex.
Professor,

Do you actually have any issues with the clutch, not speaking about slipping? i.e. Is there any chatter, other noises or other issues you've experienced?
Old 10-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I wanted to add an LSD to my car and since I wa, I decided to change out the clutch, stock was fine at the time. I put in a Competition Clutch, Stage 3, and am very unhappy with it for a DD. I have had for almost a year and still stall the car occasionally from a dead stop. Ya, it's great at the track, but I am there six times a year. I like the lighter flywheel though, I think the car seems more responsive. To be honest, I don't feel anything different with the LSD.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:15 PM
μ

Quote:
Professor,

Do you actually have any issues with the clutch, not speaking about slipping? i.e. Is there any chatter, other noises or other issues you've experienced?

no issues at all. nice and quiet.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
The facelift OEM clutch should be the best one.

Whats the difference between that one and the pre-facelift flywheel?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Camaro Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro Send a message via Skype™ to Camaro

I know of a 2 or so putting down 250-281+whp on stock clutch. Torque is where the holding limits of the stock clutch not so much the horsepower. I can't remember where I read it but 240ft lbs is the actual limit of the stock clutch.

OS Giken GT is like OEM+
Old 10-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyr53 View Post
Whats the difference between that one and the pre-facelift flywheel?
From what I've found the pre-facelift clutches are more prone to glazing, and thus having that "howling" sound especially on cold winter days. The facelift MINIs had a lot of other things fixed as well, such as a lighter gearbox, some other aesthetic fixes, etc.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

oh cause ive pulled a flywheel out of a 05' and it looked like the same one that was in my 03'
Old 10-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyr53 View Post
oh cause ive pulled a flywheel out of a 05' and it looked like the same one that was in my 03'
That's interesting. I'm sure they look the same unless they're side by side. They should essentially look near identical.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
I'm curious about this Valeo setup. This is not meant to be a smartass comment at all, but wouldn't it be safe to assume that the Sprintex being different in our two setups, me running it and you not, would be the big difference maker in whether a clutch works for me or not? Again, I know that sounds smartass, but its not at all. Just figuring that the Sprintex would be the piece that causes the jump in power enough that I may need the next step up.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to Camaro Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro Send a message via Skype™ to Camaro

Simple question how much torque are you putting to the ground?

If its below 240ft lbs at the wheels your fine with the valeo.