motoring|underground  
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Blog

Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs Troubleshooting your car's woes.

Go Back   motoring|underground > On the Lifts > Maintenance, Problems, and Repairs

Old 05-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to qwkslvr02
Default Oil in my intercooler...want some input

So, F.G. is helping me out and doing some maintenance on the MINI for me and he pulled of my intercooler to notice pools of oil in the arms that connect to it. Also, my oil level is dropping faster than it should. I talked to a mechanic that's worked on the car in the past and the only things he suggested off the top of his head was something dealing with the oil seperator that BMW uses, or basically oil getting past the rings and so on. Anyone else ever run into this problem that can kind of lead us in a direction, otherwise FG is just going to start tearing down the engine to investigate. (Yes, he's very kind).
Old 05-29-2008, 06:04 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime

I know it happens I think thats what the oil catch can was designed to prevent?

M7 Oil Catch Can
The MINI Cooper S is prone to excessive oil vapor within the intake system. If you've ever taken off your intercooler, you most likely noticed a build up of oil within each rubber boot sealing each end of the intercooler. Spray some cleaner into

omgzz
Old 05-29-2008, 06:05 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

it's pretty standard. how much are we talking when we say pools? when was the last time you ever cleaned your intercooler?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 PM
μ

yup pretty standard... each time I removed my IC there was some oil, I'm not too concerned and still have yet to install the brand new M7 catch can sitting in my garage... some day

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnr13 View Post
it's pretty standard. how much are we talking when we say pools? when was the last time you ever cleaned your intercooler?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

I have a catch can that we were getting ready to install. The reason I know this is not normal, is because I've noticed a significant drop in my oil level from the last oil change. This is not normal. I did the last change only about six thousand miles ago, and had to add almost a full quart. This just doesn't seem normal.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:19 PM
μ

Send a message via AIM to glnr13

how much oil is in the intercooler? would you say a quart of oil? that'd be a crap ton of oil in there
Old 05-29-2008, 07:27 PM
μ

i'm not a fan of catch cans. I have a feeling the oil in the super charger is there to lubricate it... I could be wrong.

I typically have a thin film of oil in the intercooler. A little carb cleaner and i'm back on the road g2g.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:01 PM
μ

for the best IC efficiency it should be dry inside, but how much efficiency loss because of oil, I've never seen any hard data...

I'm just too lazy to install it and make a mistake etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
i'm not a fan of catch cans. I have a feeling the oil in the super charger is there to lubricate it... I could be wrong.

I typically have a thin film of oil in the intercooler. A little carb cleaner and i'm back on the road g2g.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Send a message via AIM to jonv Send a message via MSN to jonv

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post

Yeah same here. Not a big fan of the catch can either. Although I haven't cleaned my IC in a while...

How often do you change your oil? and is the oil broken down?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Like I said, I change the oil about every 6K miles. I little more often than needed. Although, the oil seems like it is darker than usual. I have not cleaned out my intercooler though. Never really crossed my mind until it got taken off. It's definitely on the list of maintenance now. Besides that, I've never had a problem with loss of oil like this before. That's why it gets my attention, and there was enough oil there for FG to think something was wrong too.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Y Rated - 186 mph

Minis use oil to a degree. So keep an eye on it... Very common for oil to be found in the IC, some folks clean them out every so often...
Its not uncommon for them to be 2 qts low when coming in for service.

Mine eats about a qt every 3-5K miles depending on how hard I drive it...

Not a big fan of the Oil catch cans but there are two camps on that one.. So I will leave that to personal choice...